Rich hot chocolate with the refreshing taste of peppermint in every sip. Topped with whipped cream and crushed candy cane, this peppermint hot chocolate is perfect for the cold winter holiday.
Peppermint hot chocolate is the highlight of my winter. I wait patiently every year for the holiday season so that I can indulge in peppermint, well, everything. Peppermint hot chocolate, peppermint mocha, peppermint cupcakes, peppermint cookies, peppermint candy canes. I think you get my point.
Does anyone else feel the same way?
So obviously I have to share a peppermint something with you. So why not start with one of my favorites: peppermint hot chocolate with whipped cream and crushed peppermint candy cane.
I love hot chocolate. I mean, it’s chocolate as a beverage. What’s not to like?
But when you add the taste of peppermint into rich hot chocolate?
Can I have seconds please (maybe thirds and fourths too)?
This peppermint hot chocolate is rich, creamy, and absolutely addictive. I’ve had it three times already. And I’m ready for more.
With very little work required, you can make yourself a fresh mug to keep yourself warm and cozy. Then you can top it with as much whipped cream as your heart desires. And sprinkle with crushed candy canes for a Christmas-y look.
You know how they always make the whipped cream nice for you at Starbucks? Or any coffee shop?
Confession! I always order my drinks with whipped cream, but I never eat it or mix it in. I just let it sit on top because it makes my drinks look pretty.
Which was the idea behind the whipped cream on my hot chocolate. Except when I tried to , it went in every direction and not at all how I pictured it. Apparently, I have no skills in handling whipped cream from a can. Sadly.
In a small pot, add milk and half and half or heavy whipping cream. It depends on your preference. If you use heavy whipped cream, the hot chocolate will be creamier. Bring the milk to a simmer.
In a small bowl, add unsweetened cacao and sugar. Add a few spoonfuls of warm milk to the bowl and mix until you create a chocolate paste.
Use a spatula to scoop the chocolate paste into the warm milk. Next, add semi sweet chocolate chips and peppermint bits. I used Andes Peppermint Crunch Baking Chips. Whisk the ingredients until all the chocolate has melted.
Pour the hot chocolate into a mug. Top with whipped cream and crushed peppermint candy cane. I placed a candy cane into a bag and smashed it with a hammer. Then I sprinkled it over the whipped cream.
Peppermint Hot Chocolate
Prep time 3 mins Cook time 5 mins Total time 8 mins
- ½ cup 2% milk
- ½ cup half and half or heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon peppermint chips
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Crushed candy cane (optional)
- In a small pot, add milk and half and half or heavy whipping cream. Allow them to simmer over low heat.
- While the milk is heating, add unsweetened cocoa powder and granulated sugar into a small bowl. Add a few spoonful of warm milk into the bowl and mix until it become a chocolate paste.
- Use a spatula to scrape the chocolate paste into the pot of milk. Add the semi-sweet chocolate chips and the peppermint baking chips into the pot. Stir to mix all the ingredients until the chocolate has completely melted.
- Pour the hot chocolate into a mug. Top with whipped cream and crushed candy cane bits.
- Serve warm.